- Architectural Review Board
Architectural Review Board - May 15, 2025
Palo Alto’s Architectural Review Board continued the Cedar & Sage patio and Cannery sign plans, seeking pedestrian-access and wayfinding revisions.

Listen to this AI-generated audio version
Cedar & Sage patio sent back for walkway and canopy revisions

180 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA

The Architectural Review Board voted 5-0 to continue Cedar & Sage’s Major Architectural Review application to a date uncertain, directing revisions to the proposed patio enclosure and canopy at Stanford Shopping Center. Staff had recommended approval of the storefront, facade, outdoor dining and signage changes, subject to conditions.
The board required the revised design to provide an 8-foot pedestrian walkway clear of impediments. A board member reported measuring about 6 feet 3 inches of clearance at the bollards, while staff considered the narrower area an existing condition. The proposal would cover 247 square feet of outdoor dining area.
Members also found that the canopy and enclosure needed to relate more clearly to the building’s curved form and called for a consistent approach to fixed and retractable canopy elements. The applicant must provide more information about the proposed textured plaster finish, and the board recommended exploring alternatives to overhead gas heaters. The project will return for review after revisions are prepared.
Cannery sign program continued for new entry and wayfinding plan

340 Portage Avenue, Palo Alto, CA
The board unanimously continued The Cannery Palo Alto’s proposed Master Sign Program to a date uncertain, asking the applicant to revise its entry and directory signs and better explain the relationship between Cannery branding, tenant identification and site wayfinding. Staff had recommended approval subject to conditions.
The proposal included nine signs across seven sign types. Staff said two directory signs, each about 9.4 square feet, exceeded the 7-square-foot allowance and lacked directional arrows. Staff also said a previously proposed El Camino Real sign was removed because it would have been on another property and did not meet the applicable off-site-sign rules.
Board members agreed the entry-sign approach was unresolved but differed on the preferred solution. Yingxi Chen favored retaining tenant names and considering more visible wayfinding, while Peter Baltay questioned signage near the future townhomes and raised concern about directing traffic through that area. Kendra Rosenberg sought stronger Cannery identification and reconsideration of tenant names at the entry signs.
The 5-0 continuation directs the applicant to return with a new entry-sign scheme and a clearer wayfinding rationale. Staff will also reevaluate whether an entry sign near El Camino Real could be feasible. The board did not recommend approval or settle the final sign locations at this hearing.
Primary sources
Watch the meeting on YouTube · Read the official meeting packet