Skip to main content
City of Palo Alto sealPalo Alto Civic
  • Parks and Recreation Commission

Parks and Recreation Commission - April 22, 2025

Palo Alto commissioners took no action on eight additional Mitchell Park pickleball courts and reviewed Cubberley polling and a preserve trail proposal.

Parks and Recreation Commission Regular Meeting video thumbnail

Listen to this AI-generated audio version

Commission takes no action on eight-court pickleball proposal

Side-by-side Street View and map showing the captioned location labeled A

Mitchell Park, Palo Alto, CA

The Parks and Recreation Commission took no action on a Palo Alto Pickleball Club proposal to investigate adding eight courts at Mitchell Park, leaving no formal process, timeline or next step for an expansion. Commissioners praised the club’s community, health, youth and volunteer benefits but said expansion would require broader citywide capacity planning, clearer public notice and more analysis of potential tradeoffs.

Mitchell Park has 15 pickleball courts, and the proposal would raise the total to 23, an increase of about 53%. The club said about $100,000 in club and private funding was available through 2025 and projected that eight additional courts could accommodate 96 players per hour. It also asserted that expansion would have no City financial or ongoing maintenance impact.

Staff did not confirm those assertions and said any future review would need to address site selection, competing park uses, parking, infrastructure, noise, maintenance and staffing. One public commenter supported pickleball’s growth but opposed expanding at Mitchell Park without addressing land availability, parking and the potential loss of tennis courts. Another asked about the process and timing; the chair said neither had been established.

Cubberley voter poll opens April 28

Side-by-side Street View and map showing the captioned location labeled B

Cubberley Community Center, Palo Alto, CA

The first poll in the current Cubberley Community Center planning process is scheduled to open April 28 for two weeks. Staff said the randomized survey of registered voters will use phone, email and text outreach to assess community priorities and willingness to support tax or bond funding. The Commission received the update without taking formal action.

The 35-acre Cubberley site includes eight acres owned by the City and 27 acres leased from the Palo Alto Unified School District. An October 2024 memorandum of understanding contemplates the City buying seven additional acres if a potential November 2026 bond measure succeeds, which would make 15 acres available for a new community center.

Staff said more than 120 people attended a March 19 community meeting, where participants emphasized flexible, inclusive and affordable gathering spaces, access for different ages and abilities, shared indoor facilities and substantial green space. Commissioners expressed concern that they had not reviewed the detailed poll questions. Staff said only themes were shared in advance to protect the survey’s integrity, while Councilmember Julie Lythcott-Haims said the poll was intended to measure priorities rather than promote the project.

The City Council’s Cubberley ad hoc committee is scheduled to review poll results May 16, followed by the full Council on June 9. A June 12 community meeting is expected to include three concept plans, with results returning to the Commission in late June. The Commission may also consider in May whether to form its own Cubberley ad hoc committee and define its assignment.

Preserve trail closure goes to outreach through July 1

Side-by-side Street View and map showing the captioned location labeled C

Pearson-Arastradero Preserve, Palo Alto, CA

The City will accept comments through July 1 on a proposal to close and restore an unmarked trail segment connecting the Upper Bowl area to Meadowlark Trail at Pearson-Arastradero Preserve. No closure was approved at the meeting, and commissioners generally supported further evaluation after public outreach rather than an immediate decision.

Staff said the route is redundant within the existing trail network and that restoring it could reduce habitat fragmentation. Although the agenda characterized the proposal as a seasonal closure, staff clarified that this particular segment would be returned to natural conditions rather than reopened seasonally. A separate concept previously discussed by an ad hoc committee—permanently closing roughly half of the Upper Bowl—was not the same proposal.

Commissioners sought more information about fencing costs, operational effects, bicycle use and recreation alternatives, while generally supporting habitat protection, education and signage. Staff plans to gather feedback through posted notices, ranger engagement and other outreach, then return to the Commission potentially in July or August. If the Commission ultimately supports the proposal, staff said restoration could occur in time for the wet season.

Council approves focused El Camino Park turf study

Councilmember Julie Lythcott-Haims reported that the City Council approved a focused study on April 21 concerning replacement of the existing field at El Camino Park. The Council directed staff to engage a consultant to examine current artificial-turf and natural-grass technologies and their benefits and consequences. The update did not select a surface, and no Commission action was requested.

Council advances next stages for two housing projects

Side-by-side Street View and map showing the captioned location labeled E

El Camino Park

Lythcott-Haims also reported that the City Council approved the next stages on April 14 for a downtown parking garage at Hamilton and Waverly proposed to include approximately 15 affordable-housing units. The Council likewise advanced the next stages for a separate 10-townhome development. The Parks and Recreation Commission received the projects as part of the liaison report and took no action on them.

Primary sources

Watch the meeting on YouTube · Read the official meeting packet