- Parks and Recreation Commission
Parks and Recreation Commission - August 26, 2025
Palo Alto commissioners did not resolve whether to convert two Mitchell Park tennis courts for pickleball; staff will study alternatives.

Listen to this AI-generated audio version
Mitchell Park court conversion remains unresolved

Mitchell Park, Palo Alto, CA
The Parks and Recreation Commission did not reach a position on whether to convert or dual-stripe Mitchell Park Tennis Courts 3 and 4 for pickleball at its Aug. 26 meeting. No motion or vote was taken. Staff plans to clarify the future availability and rules for school-district courts before advancing a recommendation, while also examining alternative sites, public-private partnerships and approaches used in Mountain View. Any later commission recommendation would go to the City Council.
Mitchell Park contains all 15 of Palo Alto’s city pickleball courts: eight dedicated courts and seven dual-striped courts with pickleball priority. Staff conducted 37 spot checks across 12 days and reported particularly heavy use on weekday evenings and weekend mornings. A Thursday observation at 8 p.m. found 52 players and 61 people waiting, while a Saturday observation at 6 p.m. found 52 players and 68 waiting. Converting Tennis Courts 3 and 4 could accommodate up to 32 additional players but would reduce the number of lighted tennis courts in South Palo Alto from four to two.
Commissioners expressed differing views. Anne Warner Cribbs and Amanda Brown considered conversion or dual-striping possible short-term approaches, while Yudy Deng supported temporary conversion as one option. Shani Kleinhaus and Nellis Freeman opposed changing the two tennis courts at this time. Jeff Greenfield said parking impacts needed further analysis before a decision.
Of 27 emails staff had received by the morning of the meeting, 25 opposed the conversion. Public testimony was mixed: pickleball advocates cited persistent waits and potential private funding, while tennis players and other park users raised concerns about losing lighted tennis capacity, parking congestion and noise. Staff noted that the Palo Alto Pickleball Club previously indicated it could contribute up to $100,000 toward additional courts and that a private agreement could provide 35 more parking spaces after 5 p.m. and on weekends. Commissioners also favored continued discussions between tennis and pickleball stakeholders.
Commission gives informal support to a 25% USTA residency floor
Commissioners gave general, nonbinding support to using a 25% minimum Palo Alto residency requirement as the starting point for USTA team reservations on city-owned tennis courts. No formal motion or vote occurred, and the policy was not adopted. Staff will prepare redlined Field and Court Use Policy language and return to the commission.
Under the staff proposal, qualifying USTA teams with higher percentages of Palo Alto residents would receive priority in court selection. Staff said 93 teams requested space from roughly January through May 2025 and about 45 teams were reported for the fall season. The proposal would also formalize off-peak reservations for Palo Alto-based youth organizations while retaining a rule that no more than half the courts at a location may be reserved.
Several details remain unsettled. Greenfield considered the 25% threshold low and suggested a staged increase or later review, while Freeman, Brown and Bing Wei supported starting at 25%. Commissioners also discussed revisiting the $8 hourly rental fee, defining prohibited compensated private instruction more clearly and installing court clocks to help enforce the existing one-hour, 15-minute drop-in limit. Staff has not identified a product or cost for the clocks and will investigate their feasibility while refining youth reservation hours and holiday rules.
Public commenters generally supported prioritizing Palo Alto residents, although some called for a higher residency threshold, larger nonresident fees or penalties for manipulating team rosters. Others emphasized limited practical access to school-district courts and the need for more usable tennis capacity.
PAUSD plans to end field and court agreement Nov. 11

Mitchell Park Community Center, Palo Alto, CA
The Palo Alto Unified School District intends to terminate its field and court maintenance and brokering agreement with the city effective Nov. 11, 2025, staff reported. The district plans to honor existing scheduled user groups during the transition. The commission took no action on the report.
Staff said it would directly notify stakeholders during the week of the meeting and work with the district to transition reservation systems and close out the agreement. Greenfield had asked whether affected users had been informed.
Turf study review moves to a special meeting

El Camino Park, Palo Alto, CA
The commission deferred its presentation and review of the draft Turf Study until a later special meeting after hearing from five public speakers. No clear motion or vote was recorded. Staff will schedule the special meeting, where the public will have another opportunity to comment.
Draft materials estimated a 20-year synthetic-turf cost of about $79 per hour when fully programmed, compared with approximately $179 to $203 per hour for natural grass. They also estimated that converting El Camino Park from synthetic turf to natural grass would displace about 4,300 annual hours of use and could require six to seven additional native-soil natural-grass fields.
Multiple speakers argued that the study did not adequately evaluate organically managed or alternatively constructed natural-grass fields and challenged its use-hour, cost and capacity assumptions. They also raised concerns about synthetic-turf heat, maintenance, pellet shedding, environmental effects and end-of-life recycling. One speaker supported synthetic turf, citing claimed advances in recyclability, PFAS-free products, lower operating costs and greater field availability.
Cubberly redevelopment remains in the community-input phase

Cubberly
The city continues to gather community input on the Cubberly redevelopment, the council liaison reported. Planning is proceeding with a potential bond measure contemplated a little more than a year after the meeting. The update was informational, and the commission took no action.
Primary sources
Watch the meeting on YouTube · Read the official meeting packet