- Parks and Recreation Commission
Parks and Recreation Commission - May 26, 2026
Palo Alto’s parks commission backed keeping four Mitchell Park tennis courts for now rather than converting two into eight pickleball courts.

Listen to this AI-generated audio version
Commission leaves Mitchell Park tennis courts in place for now

Mitchell Park, Palo Alto, CA
The Parks and Recreation Commission backed a motion to leave all four Mitchell Park tennis courts in place for now rather than convert courts 3 and 4 into eight dedicated pickleball courts. The vote was announced as unanimous. The conversion would have increased the park’s pickleball inventory from 15 lit courts to 23 while reducing its tennis courts from four to two.
The adopted motion was narrower than staff’s recommendation, which called for no increase in Palo Alto’s pickleball-court inventory, including no additional tennis-court conversions at Mitchell Park. Staff cited operational, parking, noise and user-conflict concerns. Chair Nellis Freeman supported pausing the conversion while the pickleball and tennis ad hoc committee pursues longer-term options and mitigation measures.
Staff conducted court-use spot checks on 68 days over approximately six months and found pickleball waitlists ranging from five to 60 people, with an average of 26. Supporters of expansion cited persistent waits, social and mental-health benefits and demand for youth programming. Opponents emphasized the loss of lit tennis access, parking congestion, noise and possible effects on Magical Bridge Playground, Achieve Kids and other park users.
Alternatives discussed included sound barriers, quieter equipment, lighting tennis courts at Cubberley and developing a dedicated facility elsewhere. A potential Baylands Athletic Center facility was estimated at approximately six courts and at least $1.6 million. The ad hoc committee will continue working with staff, which plans to update City Council by memo.
Council report says Cubberley tax measure advanced and Churchill will stay open

Cubberley, Palo Alto, CA
The commission’s council liaison reported that City Council had unanimously advanced a sales-tax ballot measure intended to support acquisition of the Cubberley parcel and begin its redevelopment. The report said five community partners were confirmed and a sixth was possible, but described support for the measure as uncertain based on polling. Council was scheduled to consider specific ballot language on June 8, 2026.
The liaison also reported that Council voted not to close Churchill Avenue because diverting traffic could create other safety hazards. The city was continuing track monitoring and pursuing quiet zones, which were estimated to be about 18 months away.
On housing, the liaison said the 156 California Builder’s Remedy project was moving forward after a Council ad hoc committee negotiated reduced tower heights and a revised design. Councilmembers Ed Lauing and Greer Stone were identified as members of that committee. The Parks and Recreation Commission took no action on the liaison’s updates.
City seeks permit to inspect and repair stuck flood-basin sluice gate

Palo Alto flood basin, Palo Alto, CA
City staff has submitted a permit application to clean, inspect and begin repairing the Palo Alto flood basin’s sluice gate, which is stuck closed and has a nonfunctioning motorized system. The underwater assessment would examine corrosion, marine buildup and leakage while determining whether manual and motorized operation can be restored.
After the initial work, staff plans to evaluate water-level sensor data and develop operating protocols for the approximately 600-acre basin. Staff also reported that Valley Water’s larger tide gate replacement project had been deferred until 2060, although seismic rehabilitation work is continuing.
Valley Water completed seismic retrofit work in 2025 and expects to resume in September 2026 to repair six flap gates, according to staff. That work is expected to affect Bay Trail access for several months.
Proposed budget would reduce turf irrigation schedules systemwide

Greer Park, Palo Alto, CA
Staff said the proposed fiscal year 2027 budget calls for a 10% to 15% systemwide reduction in irrigation schedules for irrigated turf. The proposed reduction would apply across the system rather than only at Foothills Park. The commission took no action on the proposal.
Primary sources
Watch the meeting on YouTube · Read the official meeting packet